Saturday, February 25, 2012

Review: Slinky Malinki

Slinky_Malinki

Slinky Malinki
Written and illustrated by Lynley Dodd

Publication Date: 1990
Publisher: Mallinson Rendel Publishers Ltd.
ISBN: 0-908606-66-4

Summary/Back cover:
Slinky Malinki is blacker than black, a stalking and lurking cat. In fact, Slinky Malinki is a thief, and steals anything from a clothes peg or a slipper to a string of sausages. This story is told in verse.

Review:
I’m known to criticise stories on this site when the rhyming is clunky or has poor rhythm. I can lay no such criticism to this book from the author of Hairy Maclary (which I have just realised hasn’t been reviewed, yet – expect that review, shortly!) Lynley Dodd’s rhyming is spot on in this story introducing us to one of her recurring characters, a pet cat called Slinky Malinki.

Slinky Malinki is cute and fun-loving by day, but a sneaky thief come night. This story tells the tale of the night Slinky stole more than usual and the strife that ensued.

I recommend this book, and I especially recommend it to those who love cats. If you like this story check out the reviews of some of Lynley’s other books: Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack; The Nickle Nackle Tree; and, Slinky Malinki’s Christmas Crackers. Lynley also illustrated My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes.

My rating: 4 out of 5

Review written by team_s

No comments:

Post a Comment