Saturday, February 25, 2012

Review: Mog and the Granny

51ufmGLOIKL._SL500_AA300_

Mog and the Granny
Written and illustrated by Judith Kerr

Publication Date: 2005
Publisher: HarperCollins Children’s Books
ISBN: 978-0-00-717127-9

Summary/Back cover:
The Thomas family have gone on holiday, so Mog is staying with a granny. It sounded safe enough, but no one warned Mog about Tibbles...

Review:
Judith Kerr is the world-famous writer of The Tiger Who Came to Tea. Mog and the Granny is one of the stories in Kerr’s “Mog” series. Mog the Forgetful Cat has also been reviewed on this site.

The Tiger Who Came to Tea is a must-read classic. It is a book my family initially issued from the library. It was such a hit we ended up buying a copy.

Mog and the Granny inspires less enthusiasm in our house. The book confuses my husband who can’t figure out if Mog is meant to be psychic since she seems to always know where her owner, Debbie, is and what she is doing. I think I would like the story better if Mog didn’t keep having flashes of what Debbie was doing, as I find it a bit of a distracting diversion from the events in Mog’s immediate surroundings, but the “Debbie flashes” are partly necessary for the plot.

The illustrations are lovely, and I love the depiction of Granny, especially when her and the cats engage in the high-speed mobility scooter ride at the end.

I think perhaps the problem is that our family don’t have pets, and if we did we’d lean towards the dog variety. To that end I would recommend the story to cat lovers, who I think would appreciate the story much more than we did.

My rating: 3.5 out of 5

Review written by team_s

No comments:

Post a Comment