Saturday, February 18, 2012

Review: Planet of the Bears

9781405258456-crop-325x325

Planet of the Bears
Written by Giles Andreae
Illustrated by Janet Cronin

Publication date: 2011
Publisher: Egmont
ISBN: 978-1-4052-5845-6

Summary/Back cover:
A story about looking after our world.

Review:
I was very excited to discover another Giles Andreae book at the library, and snaffled it up quickly. However, it's not typical Andreae style so disappointed me from the start. It's not a rhyming book (for which Andreae is very well known), nor is it funny (also a known Andreae attribute).

However, when I got over my preconceptions of what I expected this author to deliver, I found that this is a sweet wee book - it's about some bears who like 'stuff' and want more 'stuff', and Clever Bear who realises love is more important than 'stuff' and sets about bottling kindness to take to the heart of the earth.

I don't think my 3 year old fully grasps the concepts of this story, and there were a few words that were completely lost on him ("Assail your fellow bears with kindness"), but the pictures are lovely and the bears are happy at the end of the book, so that was enough for him!

This book is one of a collectable series - the rest can be found at www.worldofhappy.com

My rating: 3.5 out of 5

Review written by Bronwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment