Thursday, February 23, 2012

Review: Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!

hh

Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!
Written by Dr Seuss (writing as Theo.LeSieg)
Illustrated by Charles E. Martin

Publication date: 1976
Publisher: HarperCollins
ISBN: 0-00-171273 X

Summary/Back cover:
From Alice and Abe to Zeke and Zipper, an alphabetic array of guests turns out for the biggest birthday party ever. But Hooper Humperdink isn't on the guest list! Young readers will enjoy finding out why in this extravaganza of names from A to Z.

Review:
This book is a typical Dr Seuss book, in that it rhymes and has nonsense names and words throughout it. However, this book seems to have aged much quicker than the likes of Green Eggs and Ham and Fox in Socks - I can't quite put my finger on exactly why that is, though! The only thing I can think of is because it's people, not animals.

However, this is not really a major issue at all, as my 3 year old still enjoyed this book, and laughed out loud as the party plans got wilder and wilder as the book progressed.

I collect Dr Seuss books, but borrowed this one from the library - if I can pick up a second-hand copy of this book, I'll add it to our collection, but I'm not so fond of it to spend much money on picking up a new copy.

My rating: 3 out of 5

Review written by Bronwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment