Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Review: Duck, Death and the Tulip

Duck-Death-Tulip

Duck, Death and the Tulip
Written and Illustrated by Wolf Erlbruch

Publication date: 2008 (original German publication 2007)
Publisher: Gecko Press
ISBN: 978-1-877467-14-1

Summary/Back cover:
In a strangely heartwarming story, a duck strikes up an unlikely friendship with Death. "Who are you? Why are you creeping along behind me?" "Good. You've finally noticed me," said Death. "I am Death." Duck was startled. You couldn't blame her for that.

Death, Duck and the Tulip is the much anticipated translation of Wolf Erlbruch's latest masterpiece. Death, Duck and the Tulip will intrigue, haunt and enchant teenagers and adults. Simple, unusual, warm and witty - a picture book version of The Book Thief. This book deals with a difficult subject in away that is elegant, straightforward, and thought-provoking.

Review:
I had heard about this book, but not read it before - it's a sad yet tender tale about a duck and his journey with Death, who is presented wearing slippers and a checkered dressing gown, with a skull as his head, and carrying a black tulip. Duck perhaps doesn't realise he is near the end of his life as he walks and talks with Death, but the two strike up an acquaintanceship, if not quite a friendship.

The story is as much about life as it is about death, and the pair discuss the afterlife - what happens to us after we die. In the end, Duck stops breathing and dies very quietly. Death strokes her rumpled feathers and gently places her in the river with the black tulip. The final page of the book is "For a long time he watched her. When she was lost to sight, he was almost a little moved. But that's life, thought Death."

I will admit, I haven't read this to my 3.5 year old and 18 month old children, as I don't know that they're ready to deal with such a grown up concept - or maybe I'm not ready to teach them about it yet. In either case, we're lucky in that we haven't had to approach the topic of death with them yet, but I think this book will be a lovely one to read after, say, an elderly relative has passed on, and the children start to question what has happened.

The illustrations are under-stated and tender, suiting the story perfectly. It will be a great book to discuss with slightly older children who will grasp the concept of death - I'm not sure how well younger children will understand it, but I think quite possibly that our younger children understand more than we give them credit for, sometimes.

If you have read this book with your children, please do either leave me a comment here, telling me your thoughts, or email me on 1001bookreviews@gmail.com so I can put your comments up anonymously.

My rating: 5 out of 5 - a poignant tale of death, approached in an incredibly tender way.

Review written by Bronwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment