Sunday, March 4, 2012

Review: Willbee the Bumblebee

Willbee the Bumblebee low

Willbee the Bumblebee
Words by Craig Smith and Maureen Thomson
Illustrated by Katz Cowley
Music by Craig Smith

Publication date: 2010
Publisher: Scholastic New Zealand
ISBN: 978-1-86943-943-9

Summaty/Back cover:
Will you look at that? It's a bare bumblebee!
Willbee the bumblebee is so embarrassed when he realises his stripy jumper has caught on a rose thorn and completely unravelled...

Review:
By the same team that brought us The Wonky Donkey, Willbee the Bumblebee is another song-in-a-book, and the book comes complete with CD.

I'm not allowed to just read this book - it must be sung, and the tune is incredibly catchy. I've found myself humming it all week, in fact!

The story is one that Craig Smith's mother, Maureen Thomson, used to tell him as a child, and he has now set it to music - and it's certainly been worthwhile.

For those that have The Wonky Donkey, I definitely recommend adding this to your collection - one to buy, not just borrow, too. The tune and story is quite different from The Wonky Donkey, but it isn't a poor-little-brother sequel - this book stands out firmly on it's own merits.

My 3 year old tells me that I must mention that this book has the word 'bum' in it, which is absolutely hilarious to him! Actually, it's absolutely hilarious to this Mum too!

My rating: An enthusiastic 5 out of 5.

Review written by Bronwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment