Sunday, March 4, 2012

Review: There's a Hole in my Bucket

There's a hole in my Bucket

There's a Hole in my Bucket
Sung by The Topp Twins
Pictures by Jenny Cooper

Publication date: 2011
Publisher: Scholastic New Zealand
ISBN: 978-1-77543-046-9

Summary/Back cover:
There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza...
Sing along with the incomparable Topp Twins!

When Henry the goat discovers a hole in his bucket, Liza the duck offers a series of solutions to fix it.

Review:
This song has always been one to make me smile, and the illustrations in the book add a lot of life and character to the lyrics. The expressions of exasperation on the duck, make this book worth reading, if nothing else!

The Topp Twins have sung this song onto a CD that accompanies the book, and have added goat bleats throughout. Beyond that, I wasn't quite as impressed with the CD as I thought I might have been - I expected more of the ducks exasperation to be sung, perhaps. Maybe because that's the way I read it (we read/sung it before we listened to the CD). But the Topp Twins have done a good job singing it, and the goat bleats certainly get the approval of my children.

It's a great song, awesome illustrations and well-sung CD. This book will be read and listened to many time to come in our house - my 3 year old sees the humour in the lyrics and pictures, and my 18 month old enjoys dancing to the catchy tune.

My rating: 4.2 out of 5

Review written by Bronwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment