Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Review: Tiddler the Story-Telling Fish

231191055

Tiddler the Story-Telling Fish
Written by Julia Donaldson
Illustrated by Axel Scheffler

Publication date: 2007
Publisher: Scholastic Children's Books
ISBN: 978-0-439943-77-2

Summary/Back cover:
The smallest fish can tell the tallest tales...
"Sorry I'm late, Miss. I set off really early
But on the way to school I was captured by a squid.
I wriggled and I struggled till a turtle came and rescued me."
"Oh, no, he didn't." OH, YES, HE DID."

Review:
I'm not overly familiar with Julia Donaldson, but as a fan of this blog, have seen how hugely popular she is. When I saw this available at the library, I snatched it up. Obviously well loved (repairs on nearly every second page), I was not disappointed. The illustrations are gorgeous; bright and colourful. The story itself is a take on The Boy Who Cried Wolf - Tiddler tells big stories to justify his tardiness, but the one story that really is true and amazing isn't believed.

I do have a gripe. The rhyming scheme is great but as the book moved on, the lines were spread out differently and sometimes over a number of pages so the flow of the rhyme was lost (for this reader at least). To be honest, it made me feel like a numpty. This is just a small gripe though, as it pales in comparison to all the great things this book offers. 3.5/5

Review written by QTCass

No comments:

Post a Comment