Thursday, March 22, 2012

Review: Where the Wild Things Are

045

Where the Wild Things Are
Written and illustrated by Maurice Sendak

Publication Date: First published 1963, this edition published 2000
Publisher: Red Fox
ISBN: 978-0-099-40839-0

Summary/Back cover:
The story of Max’s adventures when he sails away to the land where the Wild Things are has become an acknowledged classic of children’s books.

Caldecott Medal Winner for the Most Distinguished Picture Book of the Year 1964.

Review:
So, roughly once a month I drag my family over the Auckland Harbour Bridge to my favourite book shop in the whole wide world – The Dorothy Butler Bookshop in Ponsonby. It is linked with The Children’s Bookshop in Christchurch, which I used to buy the children’s books from when we lived in Canterbury. What I really want to buy is Wee Little Bunny, but I never find it. (I really ought to ask the bookshop to order it in for me, which I have no doubt they would do). So, instead, last time we were there we came home with The Gruffalo’s Child and Where The Wild Things Are. I knew The Gruffalo’s Child had already been reviewed and I felt sure that Where The Wild Things Are would have been, too. Come on! This book has been around how long? I know my sister had a copy when we were kids, ordered through The Scholastic Bookclub at school, undoubtedly. I distinctly recall looking through it and being confused as to why there were two pages with illustrations only and no words. I’m all about the words, you see. And yet, no, this book has not yet been reviewed. Even though it is so well-known there is even a movie about it. Unbelievable!! I hope you are not all avoiding the book and just watching the film are you? Okay, so here’s the gist: Max is a boy, let’s guess around 8 years old. He wears a monster suit and gets up to mischief. So Mum sends him to bed without supper, because it’s 1963 and people didn’t call the Police on you for such things back then, and in defiance he decides to head off on an adventure to where the wild things are so he can live amongst his own kind, presumably. There is a lot of scope for interpretation in this story. It’s a quick, easy read (seriously, the story is over before you know it), and the protagonist is likeable despite being, or perhaps because he is, an obstinate mischief-making scamp. The illustrations are wonderful and have made their way into pop culture so often that you’ll feel you’ve known them forever even if you’re picking up the book for the first time… presuming there are still adults out there who have never picked up this book, before. I have to say that when I was a kid and my sister had this book, and when I read the story to my children the other day, I wasn’t sure the hype surrounding this book was justified. But, I must admit, it has grown on me. I’m glad there is a copy on our family bookshelf, ready for any time we want to follow Max on his journey to the wild side.

My rating: 5 out of 5

Review written by team_s

No comments:

Post a Comment