Sunday, January 15, 2012

Review: Can’t You Sleep, Little Bear?

little bear

Can’t You Sleep, Little Bear?
Written by Martin Waddell
Illustrated by Barbara Firth

Publication Date: 1988
Publisher: Walker Books Ltd
ISBN: 0-7445-7066-2

This book was originally recommended and leant to me by a friend about a year ago and last week I issued it from the library after spotting it on the bookshelf. It’s a really lovely story, and as you can guess from the title it makes an excellent bed-time read to the young ones.

My husband has read this story many times, too, and he finds it a bit wordy as every piece of dialogue is followed by “asked Big Bear” or “said Little Bear”. I like this, though, as when you’re reading aloud you’re never quite sure that the children understand which character is saying what without putting on very dramatic voice changes, so I find this makes it easy for my kids to follow what each character is saying.

My husband and I do agree, however, that the image of Little Bear doing a hand-stand on his bed accompanied by the line “Little Bear tried and tried to go to sleep, but he couldn’t” very humorous.

My rating: 4 out of 5

Review written by team_s

No comments:

Post a Comment