Thursday, May 5, 2011

Review: The Very Hungry Caterpillar


The Very Hungry Caterpillar
by Eric Carle

Publication Date: 2008 edition (first published 1969)
Publisher: Penguin Group
ISBN: 978-0-141-38093-3

Summary/back cover:
“One Sunday morning the warm sun came up and – pop! – out of the egg came a tiny and very hungry caterpillar.”

So begins the journey of Eric Carle’s most famous character, from little egg to beautiful butterfly. With its die-cut pages and vivid collage illustrations, this is a richly satisfying book for children.

Let me start out by saying that there was just about a war between my mother-in-law and myself over who was going to purchase this book for my children. She had always wanted to purchase this book for her grand-kids, and I had always pictured myself buying it for my children. As it turned out, one day my mother, unaware of mine or the other grand-mother’s intentions, laid the tension to rest by returning from a shopping trip with a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar for the kids.

The beautiful illustrations, the nibbled out holes in the food, the cute story, the fun educational content – what’s not to love about this classic tale? Adults love reading it and children love hearing it and looking at the pictures and trying to poke their tiny little caterpillar-sized fingers through the holes.

This edition comes with a CD version of the story so that older children can read along with Eric Carle. It’s not essential to have the CD but I do enjoy hearing how Carle obviously intended the story to be told, in terms of the rhythm and tone of his voice.

My rating:  5 out of 5

Review written by team_s

No comments:

Post a Comment