Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Review: Love You Forever

2293664

Love You Forever
Written by Robert Munsch
Illustrated by Anthony Lewis

Publication Date: 2000
Publisher: Random House
ISBN: 0-09-176813-6

Summary/back cover:
A mother cradles her newborn child and sings a gentle lullaby:

‘I’ll love you forever.
I’ll like you for always.
As long as I’m living
My baby you’ll be.’

With a simple text and rich, luminous illustrations, Love You Forever is a book to be shared… a tender affirmation of enduring love that children will carry with them throughout their lives.

I first heard about this book on FRIENDS when Joey gives a dramatic reading of it for Emma’s first birthday. Unfortunately, he only read the first page and I had no idea that I needed to read this book armed with a packet of tissues. This story is guaranteed to make you cry.

It follows a mother and her son from soon after his birth until he grows into a man. At each passage of time his mother expresses her love by singing the ‘I’ll love you forever’ lullaby as her son sleeps.

It is an endearing story of everlasting love between parent and child. If you want a book to gift to your child when they leave home, this would be it. In the meantime, read it to your children while they’re young and try to get to the end without crying.

My rating:  4.5 out of 5

Review written by team_s

No comments:

Post a Comment