Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Review: Farmyard Hullabaloo


Farmyard Hullabaloo
Written by Giles Andreae
Illustrated by David Wojtowycz

Publication date: 1999
Publisher: Orchard Books
ISBN: 978-1-84121-563-1

Summary/Back cover:
The rooster wakes the farm up
With a cock-a-doodle-doo!
The sheepdog won't stop barking,
And the cows begin to moo...


Come into the farmyard for a noisy, rhyming animal romp your little ones will love!

Review:
This is a book I've been keen to read for quite a while now - Giles Andreae is a firm favourite author in this household (with children and parents alike!), and my 2.5 year old has been pointing this particular title out in the back of other Andreae books for ages now, as one he wants to read.

Written in the same style as Commotion in the Ocean, this book is a collection of individual poems, for each animal on the farmyard.  My son enjoys telling me what the animals are before I read the poem, and has taken to guessing what the next animal over the page might be.

This style book works well for us, as it means I don't feel like I'm "breaking" the flow of the story when my son wants to ask questions or point out interesting things before we turn the page - it is also a book that he is learning to "read" to himself - I've heard him sitting and quietly saying "cock-a-doodle-doo" and "funny floppy neck" (that'd be the turkeys, by the way) as he flicks through the pages.

My rating: 4.5 out of 5.

Review written by Bronwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment