Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Review: One to Ten and Back Again



One to Ten and Back Again
Written & Illustrated by Sue Heap & Nick Sharratt

Publication date: 2004
Publisher: Puffin Books
ISBN: 978-0-141-38339-2

Summary/Back cover:
Start with one boy called Nick and add one girl called Sue, then count all the way to ten cakes for tea!

Review:
This little board book is now working it’s magic on my second child. Both my son and daughter have loved the nice clear, colourful images.  The drawings are very attractive, the text is completely pithy and to the point:

“Two woolly gloves,”
“Two shiny shoes.”

The images offer lots of opportunity to talk about colours, every day objects, patterns, animals and, of course, numbers.  My daughter memorised the text within a month of reading it and would “read” it to me at each bedtime storytime. I’m sure the same will happen with my son as his language skills grow.  This little book will be one of the great tools to bring that range of language out of him, I have no doubt.  Cannot recommend it highly enough.

My rating: 4.5 out of 5.

Review written by Ms Oh Waily

No comments:

Post a Comment