Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Review: Up in the Tree




Up in the Tree
Written and illustrated by Margaret Atwood

Publication Date: 2008 (originally published in 1978 by McClelland and Stewart)
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing
ISBN: 978-07475-9192-4

Summary/back cover:
Up in the Tree is the charming story of two children who decide to make their home in the leafy branches of a tree. Wonderfully playful and whimsical, this is vintage Margaret Atwood.

She wrote and illustrated the story and designed the text, to create beautifully integrated words and pictures. First published in 1978, Up in the Tree is Margaret Atwood’s first book for children, and something to treasure from beginning to end.

Margaret Atwood, the well-known author of adult contemporary literature such as Surfacing and Alias Grace, is one of my favourite writers. I was surprised to find a book by her amongst the children’s section in my local library – I didn’t realise she wrote kids’ books.

Like her novels for grown-ups, this children’s story is a little… unusual. By which, I mean that she creates more questions than she answers. Why, for example, are the children living in the tree? Where are their parents? What is the magical creature that rescues them? I guess the answer is simply that the story is a little far-fetched, reflecting the imagination of children.

I was once told that in order to enjoy the television show The Simpsons I had to switch my brain off and not think too hard about it. I should probably follow the same advice when I read certain children’s books, too!

As Atwood explains in a sort-of foreword to this edition, the images are limited to a palette of two – red and blue – due to budget restraints when the story was originally published. I love the vintage-ness and simplicity of these illustrations and my kids don’t seem to mind them, but it’s something to bear in mind if you prefer modern, full-colour picture-books.

The story itself is easy reading and fun, if a little strange.

My rating:  3.8 out of 5

Review written by team_s

No comments:

Post a Comment