Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Review: The Tiger Who Came to Tea


The Tiger Who Came to Tea
Written and illustrated by Judith Kerr


Publication Date: 2006 (first published in 1968)
Publisher: Harper Collins
ISBN: 0-00-721600-9

Summary/back cover:
The doorbell rings just as Sophie and her mummy are sitting down to tea. Who could it possibly be? What they certainly don’t expect to see at the door is a big furry, stripy tiger!

This book is so familiar that it must have been told to me as a child. Given that it was first published in 1968 it is standing the tests of time by still being in print, today.

The story is a delight to read and will keep your young ones intrigued. Especially if they love tigers just like one of my sons does.

I’m not sure if the tiger is meant to be real or imaginary, though. I didn’t know as a kid and I still don’t know, now. I think it’s open to interpretation.

Keep in mind that the story and illustrations reflect the era in which it was first published, so if you’re a strong feminist you might find moments such as this one a bit difficult to take:

‘Sophie’s mummy said, “I don’t know what to do. I’ve got nothing for Daddy’s supper…”’

That aside, I think this book is great and recommend it for every child’s book collection.

My rating:  4.8 out of 5

Review written by team_s

No comments:

Post a Comment