Monday, February 14, 2011

What I Read On Valentine's Day to the Littles

How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
Author: Jane Yolen 
Interest Level: PreK-1st Grade


A Note From the Publisher: Parents and children can never have enough ways to say "I love you" - and now, America's favorite dinosaurs are giving families a funny book, perfect for bedtime, story time, anytime. Even when little dinosaurs are naughty, it's important to remind them that no matter what they do, they are always loved. In this book, readers will laugh aloud as parents cope with the typical antics of childhood, but in the end, hugs and kisses show your little one how much you care. 



What made my lesson so great was this guy! Here he is chilling out on the couch in my office just waiting to be held.


He made the rounds to all the K-1 classes with me. We gathered in a circle and as each child got to hold him they answered the question: What makes you feel loved?  My heart was melting as their little hearts poured out such sweet comments. "I am loved when my mom hugs me after school." "I am loved when I'm with my dog."

One of the reasons I wanted to introduce this little sweetheart of a dinosaur to students was because I plan on using him as a counseling tool in my office. Often times I have kids coming to me with their 'love tanks' running on empty. This could be from a home issue or maybe a recent social withdrawal from school. Stuffed animals and puppets can help kids open up and find language to describe what's going on. They are very healing. When a student visits me and they are feeling down, I'd like them to sit and just hold the dinosaur because of what it represents - love. Having quiet calming time while holding a play therapy toy/stuffed animal is a great technique. It's good to identify a stuffed animal that represents safety and love.This can be used in the counselor's office, in the classroom, or at home.  Oh, and he's also fun to play with!

A Link to This Book and Others You Might Find Helpful:

No comments:

Post a Comment