Saturday, February 26, 2011

Review: Corduroy


Corduroy
Written and illustrated by Don Freeman

Publication date: 1968
Publisher:
Puffin Books
ISBN:
0-14-050.173-8

Summary/Inside Cover:
“’A winning, completely childlike picture book in which a stuffed bear waiting hopefully in a toy department finds a home with a little black girl who wants Corduroy so much that, when her mother refuses to buy him, she comes back the next day with her own money. Endearing, brightly colored pictures together with
the text affectionately recount Corduroy’s adventures.” – Booklist’

I first encountered this book when a friend lent me the second-hand copy she owned. The first time I read it to my sons I cried. I’m pretty sure that I welled up the second and third times, too. Thankfully, I can now get all the way through without my voice croaking. It was with a heavy heart, though, that I returned the book to my friend. My husband and I sadly resigned ourselves to the reality that we’d probably never find a copy of this book for ourselves, since it is so old.

I couldn’t believe my luck when one day, whilst in the bookstore on a different book-hunt, I saw Corduroy on the shelf! It was one of those moments when you take the book to the counter without a second of hesitation, gladly handing over your money because you’re just so pleased to have found something you thought you’d never possess.

Whilst the story never states outright that the little girl who falls for Corduroy is African American the illustrations do. I’m stoked to see a book of its generation featuring an African American main character and quietly commenting on race relations but not in a way that inappropriately addresses political issues in a
children’s story. It’s simply a beautiful tale of finding someone who loves you no matter what, just the way you are.

Corduroy is a delightful story, with lovely illustrations (my favourite is the one with his ears sticking out from under the bed covers). It is a classic that transcends time and even in 2011 every modern child I’ve known who has had this story read to them, loves it. I can’t recommend this book enough. Please, please find a copy and read it to your child ASAP.

5/5


Review written by team_s

No comments:

Post a Comment