Saturday, January 29, 2011

Review: There's a House inside my Mummy


There's a House inside my Mummy
Written by Giles Andreae
Illustrated by Vanessa Cabban

Publication date: 2001
Publisher: Orchard Books
ISBN: 978-1-84121-068-1

Summary/Back cover:
"There's a house inside my Mummy 
Where my little brother grows,
Or maybe it's my little sister, 
No one really knows."
"Sometimes me and Mummy 
Like to cuddle on our own,
And I tell him that I love him 
Through her tummy telephone."
A funny and tender story by Giles Andreae, also known as the best-selling Purple Ronny, about a little boy's wait for his new baby.

We got this book on the recommendation of others, when I was expecting Baby #2. It's such a sweet wee book, that explains in very toddler-friendly ways that Mummy is going to have a baby, and what will happen over the pregnancy months (ie, Mummy gets tired, eats weird things, tummy gets bigger, baby will move).

We have a number of books by Giles Andreae now, and he's quickly become one of my favourite authors of children's books. This book features Gerald, the giraffe, as a soft toy, which my 2 year old was very excited about, and pointed him out on each page.

If you're having another baby, or know someone else having a baby, I thoroughly recommend this book - we have continued to read it even after the baby was born, just as a nice story, rather than as a learning tool.

My rating: 5 out of 5 - an easy to read rhyming book that helps almost-older siblings to understand what's happening to Mummy.

Review written by Bronwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment