Saturday, January 29, 2011

Review: The Nickle Nackle Tree




The Nickle Nackle Tree 
Written and Illustrated by Lynley Dodd


Publication date: 1996
Publisher: Mallinson Rendel
ISBN: 0-908783-19-1

Summary/Back cover:
In the Manglemunching Forest there's a Nickle Nackle tree,
Growing Nickle Nackle berries that are red as red can be.
I went to look last Monday; I was too surprised for words
- On every twisty branch there was a jumbly jam of birds

And from here, this counting book works its way up from one Ballyhoo bird to fourteen pink fandango birds.  Wildly imaginative with all manner of crazy bird types and beautifully illustrated, this funny book is not proving too popular with our newest family addition but was loved by our eldest.

As a rule, I like to give books as birthday presents especially to children, and where I can I try to make them books by NZ authors.  Lynley Dodd is a most beloved kiwi author and I know that any one of her many books will be greatly appreciated.  This book has the added benefit of being a counting book as well as being wonderfully creative.  I like to use this and her other book, The Other Ark, as a basis to try and come up with our own crazy creatures with my sons, nieces and nephew.

Some of the birds are a little off-putting, which I think is what is making my little fella a bit wary.  So on this basis I give this book a 3.5/5.

Review written by QTCass

No comments:

Post a Comment