Saturday, June 11, 2011

Review: My Grandson is a Genius


My Grandson is a Genius
Written by Giles Andreae
Illustrated by Sue Hellard

Publication date: 2003
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing
ISBN: 0-7475-6479-5

Summary/Back cover:
My grandson is a genius!
It's plain for all to see,
I'm sure it won't be long
Before he sits for a degree.

His paintings are so masterful
You couldn't fail to tell
That my grandson and Picasso
Would have got on very well.

Like every proud grandparent, Grandpa can't help believing that his little grandson has an extraordinary talent for, well... absolutely everything!

Written by Giles Andreae, the creator of Purple Ronnie and the best-selling author of Rumble in the Jungle, and illustrated with great warmth and zest by Sue Hellard.

Review:
My boys' Nanna found this book - and what a wee delight it is!  Written by Giles Andreae, who is a firm favourite in this house, I had great expectations of it, and it didn't fail to delight!  As the summary indicates, it's about a grandfather who believes knows his grandson is a genius, and my parents (my boys' grandparents) know this to be true of their two grandsons!

Written in the lovely flowing rhyme that I've come to know and love from Giles Andreae, the book is a pleasure to read aloud, and is one that an adult is happy to read again and again.  My 2.5 year old thought that the boy in the book was called "My Grandson", as he is not actually given a name in the story as well, but that worked well, as it gave us a conversation starter about names versus titles ('Nanna', versus 'my nanna' etc).

If you come upon this book, I definitely recommend it as one for grandparents to have - the kids love it, the grandparents believe it to be completely true, and the parents enjoy it too.

My rating: 4.8 out of 5

Review written by Bronwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment