Thursday, December 30, 2010

I Have A Really Happy Bookshelf These Days


Isn't it exciting when you discover your favorite picture book has a puppet/plush toy that goes with it!!? Okay, well for me - it's always a very happy moment. As a school counselor, it changes my lessons and how I interact with the students. Actually, let me be real here - it puts the za za zoom in them! Role plays are an ESSENTIAL part of how I help kids. Using a visual is what really makes the difference and gives the message more power. I'm always on the hunt for good bibliotherapy but I spend just as much time trying to locate puppets/dolls/plush toys. If you are like me or need better visuals....check out this AWESOME company - MerryMakers.


So here's the deal, I'll be writing blog posts on some of these adorable book characters but I've been dying to show them to you! I own the books that go with all four characters so it's going to be a lot of FUN using these in my lessons. Stay tuned for the reviews! Here's a sneak peak of my new buddies!

How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
How Do Dinosaurs Go To School?

I LOVE Jane Yolen's dinosaur series. I had no idea these adorable dinosaur dolls existed. The irony is I've been trying to put together a unit on the feeling of love. So the "I love you dinosaur" is going to be a hit and can't wait to reveal him to the students. The "dinosaurs go to school" will fit perfectly with helping kids be academically prepared for school - and in a fun NON-BORING way! Emphasis on the non-boring.

Scaredy Squirrel
Oh wow, Scaredy Squirrel has been sitting on my shelf just waiting to be read. But now I know how to make the book work with this puppet. Love his name badge!

Only One You Fish Puppet

Check out the back of the fins. Motivating words!
Only One You is a book I've used the past couple of years with my students along with the puppet. But now I have TWO! I sometimes like to have two of the same or different puppets when I'm working with students. It's a fun way for them to talk to me or each other.

Also, MerryMakers has LOTS of different dolls, puppets, etc so head on over there to discover more good stuff. I've got my eye on a few more.....

No comments:

Post a Comment