Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Healing Books of 2010 for Children.....a few of my favorite finds this year


I debated whether I was going to do a BEST of 2010 list....because truly...any book I review and makes it to my blog - I LOVE A DUB! And here's the other thing, I really don't pay attention to what year a book was published.  It seems to make more sense to compile a list of all my favorite finds this year....meaning some of these books may have been published in 1997 or 2009 or who cares. All that matters is they rock and I had the pleasure of discovering them this year. So in no particular order here were my favorite finds that made me and the kids giddy and did some HEALING! (click on the title to read my original review)


How Full Is Your Bucket? For Kids
by Tom Rath
Topic: Kindness
Shame shame on me for not buying this book the moment it was published! The students and I are bucket believers and do'ers! This one brought even more understanding to the business of bucket filling at my school and COMPLETELY made my lessons 100 times better. Kids ask me all the time to read this one over and over. 


Let My Colors Out
by Courtney Filigenzi
Topic: Dealing With a Parent's Cancer Diagnosis
I've been loaning this book out to families coping with a family cancer diagnosis this year. It has been a WONDERFUL and HEALING book for families. Kids don't necessarily have the tools to express all of the ups and downs they go through. This book helps 'break the ice' of all those feelings. 

Interrupting Chicken
by David Ezra Stein
Topic: Manners, Listening
This was one of my infamous Barnes and Noble finds where I almost lost it. Like lost it in a good way. It has dazzled the kids and has been a great reminder to keep a respectful lid on it when someone is reading.


Milo Armadillo
by Jan Fearnley
Topic: Rejection, Acceptance, Friendship, Kindness
Armadillo Awesomeness. LOTS of beautiful lessons in this one. This shed a lot of light on the importance of being a real friend and not judging others by what's on the outside.



One of Us
by Peggy Moss
Topic: Cliques, Friendship, Excluding/Including Others
This was a great story to kick off the school year. I've seen kids left out and pushed out of groups. Thank goodness for One of Us!




Confessions of a Former Bully
by Trudy Ludwig
Topic: Bullying
Lots of excitement from my 4th and 5th graders over this one. And for good reason. It's a solid resource aimed at both sides of bullying. All I can say to Trudy is....MORE MORE MORE!



Grandma's Gloves
by Cecil Castellucci
Topic: Grief/Death
This was a story where I wanted to call the author and say THANK YOU! Yes, grieving can be really difficult but this helped put a positive beautiful spin on the process. Heart heart it!



Katie Loves the Kittens
by John Himmelman
Topic: Self-Control
So what is my secret to getting kindergarteners to not roll around the carpet like wild bear cubs? Katie Loves the Kittens! I have thoroughly mastered the reading of this book if I do say so myself!



Melissa Parkington's Beautiful, Beautiful Hair
by Pat Brisson
Topic: Gifts/Strengths, Kindness, Inner Beauty
There are certain books that I can't stop talking about and just can't wait to read to the students. I tear up on the last page every time. We need to be talking to our kids about how important their inner beauty is....not what Miley Cyrus is wearing.



The Juice Box Bully
by Maria Dismondy and Bob Sornson
Topic: Bullying/Bystanders
Finally! A LEGIT book written to solely target the problem of being a bystander. It's smart, concrete, and it is definitely empowering. This should be in all school counselor's libraries.



Dog Heaven and Cat Heaven
by Cynthia Rylant
Topic: Grieving Pet Death
How these precious books escaped me over the years - I don't know. But thank goodness I found them. They will bring peace to a child's heart in knowing their beloved pet is okay.





Good-Bye Bully Machine
by Debbie Fox and Allan L Beane
Topic: Bullying
This metaphor really got perspectives to change about the damage bullying causes. Don't be part of the problem - be part of the solution! Students love it.
Growing Up with a Bucket Full of Happiness
by Carol McCloud
Topic: Kindness, Bucket Filling
This is a 2010 discovery but I haven't blogged about it yet. I just started using it with 3rd graders before winter break. It's one of my favorite finds this year. If you teach about bucket filling - you need this one. Review to come!



Bird Child
by Nan Forler
Topic: Bullying, Bystanders
Another 2010 find I haven't blogged about yet but LOVE. The message is clear - stand up for others when they are being teased and putdown. I read this one after Juice Box Bully.

No comments:

Post a Comment