Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Book Review: Katie Woo Books In Our School Library

Katie Woo Books In Our School Library
Author of Katie Woo Books: Fran Manushkin
illustrated by Tammie Lyon
Interest Level: K-2


No More Teasing
Note From the Publisher:  A mean boy always teases Katie Woo. It makes Katie sad and mad. How can she make the bully stop teasing her?


The Big Lie
Note From the Publisher: Jake's new toy plane is missing. No one knows where it is, except Katie Woo. But Katie wants to keep the plane. What should she do?




Goodbye to Goldie
Note From the Publisher: Katie Woo's dog, Goldie, was very old. Goldie became sick and died. Katie will miss her friend. She is glad that she has lots of happy memories of Goldie.






In past blog posts I've talked about how I've been working with our school librarian to identify the social and emotional books in the library. This gave me an idea to start a new shelf called - Mrs. D's Picks. I laminated a little sign with my picture on it with a little blurb about what sort of books kids can find on the shelf. IT HAS BEEN A TOTAL SUCCESS! I went in the library yesterday and our librarian (who is a dear by the way) brought me over to the shelf and THERE WAS NOT A SINGLE BOOK LEFT ON THE SHELF. Build it and they will come! 

So since starting this little (sort of becoming big) project. I've been on the hunt for more bibliotherapy for all different ages. And they don't necessarily have to be ones I use in classroom lessons. Which brings me to the Katie Woo Series! These are SO perfect for our beginner readers. The three we recently received cover honesty, bullying, and loss of a pet. In the back of each book is a glossary, discussion questions, and writing prompts for the kiddos. Check out the whole series here.

Please be on the look out for an upcoming post on actual pictures of "Mrs. D's Picks"  and a few more great titles we've purchased to keep the shelf stocked!


A Link to These Books:

No comments:

Post a Comment