Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Review: My Grandad Marches on Anzac Day

My Grandad Marches on Anzac Day
Written by Catriona Hoy
Illustrated by Benjamin Johnson

Publication date: 2005

Publisher: Hachette Australia

ISBN: 978-0-7344-1036-8

Summary/Back cover:
"I sit on Daddy's shoulders. It's a very long wait. But my grandad will come. My grandad marches on Anzac Day."  

This is a simple, moving look at Anzac Day through the eyes of a little girl. It explains what happens on the day and its significance in terms that a young child can understand. 
A gentle story about families and the importance of sharing memories and remembering.


"One double-page spread encapsulates the entire Anzac story with stunning simplicity" - Magpies

I was sent a review copy of this book by Sarah at Kiwi Mummy Blogs, and was quite keen to read it, given it's uniquely NZ/Australia topic.  It very simply tells children the reason we go to Anzac Day parades, and why people are marching in them. 

The illustrations are a bit darker than I would usually expect to see in a children's book, but they match the seriousness of the topic beautifully, and my 2.5 year old was very interested in them and kept pointing out specific parts and asking what it was. 

If you're after a book to explain Anzac Day to your children, especially if they have family members that have been to war, I thoroughly recommend this book to you - the subject matter is a bit heavy for this book to just be considered a bedtime story, but it is perfect for a simple lesson in Anzacs and history for young children.

My rating: 4.5 out of 5


Want to buy it?  Look here.


Review written by Bronwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment