Monday, March 15, 2010

Curriculum Review: Girls In Real Life Situations

Authors: Shannon Trice-Black and Julia V. Taylor
Interest Level: Grades K-5

 About This Counseling Curriculum: This unique group counseling curriculum provides over 80 activities divided into ten session themes. During group lessons, young girls are encouraged to share feelings and struggles as they openly discuss important issues in a safe and supportive environment. They are given the opportunity to feel empowered, gain self-awareness, develop coping strategies, improve problem-solving skills, understand that they are not alone, and learn to make healthy decisions. Girls in Real-Life Situations is designed for use by educators and mental health professionals in schools and other settings. 

Read The Reviews:
"As a counselor educator, it is great to see a resource that hits on salient developmental themes, uses sound group principles (e.g., screening, icebreakers, follow up), and fosters discussion to make these often hidden topics explicit. It is also a compelling resource for me, as I try to help two daughters thrive." --Patrick Akos, Ph.D., School of Education, University of North Carolina, Charlotte

"G.I.R.L.S. is a wonderful resource for anyone looking for a creative, thorough curricula that will reach a wide audience of girls. As soon as I read it, I found new ways of doing things that I can easily use with my students." --Rosalind Wiseman, author of Queen Bees & Wannanbes and Queen Bee Moms & Kingpin Dads

As a counselor educator, it is great to see a resource that hits on salient developmental themes, uses sound group principles (e.g., screening, icebreakers, follow up), and fosters discussion to make these often hidden topics explicit. It is also a compelling resource for me, as I try to help two daughters thrive.
--Patrick Akos, Ph.D., School of Education, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

G.I.R.L.S. is a wonderful resource for anyone looking for a creative, thorough curricula that will reach a wide audience of girls. As soon as I read it, I found new ways of doing things that I can easily use with my students. --Rosalind Wiseman, author of Queen Bees & Wannanbes and Queen Bee Moms & Kingpin Dads

G.I.R.L.S. is an insightful exploration of the feelings and experiences that all young women have. Each of the lessons addresses a specific area of life that is a reality for girls today. Taylor and Trice-Black know how to connect with girls to help them reach for their dreams and overcome adversity. A must-have for anyone working with young women today! ----Tamara Davis, Ph.D., School Counseling Coordinator, Marymount University  

Why It's On My Bookshelf: First let me say that there is a designated space on my shelf for group counseling curriculums that I don't use. Second, there is also a space on my shelf for curriculums that I just can't get enough of and use all the time. Girls In Real Life Situations has a lot of wear and tear because it sits on the 'can't get enough of you' side of the shelf. If you run a girls group or are on a mission to empower girls - get this book. It is full of group counseling acitivites that rock. One of my favorite activities is called Self-Esteem Suit of Armor. It is a really neat activity on brainstorming how to protect self-esteem. If you want stress free planning and a curriculum that gets results in group counseling, then get this on your shelf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment