Monday, January 21, 2013

I Have a Dream


I Have a Dream
written by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
paintings by Kadir Nelson

From Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s daughter, Dr. Bernice A. King: “My father’s dream continues to live on from generation to generation, and this beautiful and powerful illustrated edition of his world-changing "I Have a Dream" speech brings his inspiring message of freedom, equality, and peace to the youngest among us—those who will one day carry his dream forward for everyone.”

Why It's On My Bookshelf: I felt like a made a difference this week because of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. My classroom lessons were focused on his "I Have a Dream" speech. This new book is so richly illustrated and I felt like I was carrying a work of art as I walked to each classroom. Although I did not read the speech, we used the illustrations from the book to discuss the legacy Dr. King wanted for us all. We listened to the speech via YouTube as we did artwork later in the lesson. Kadir Nelson is an amazing artist. I had a lot of teachers ask if they could borrow this book after we looked through it during my lesson. It's a must for our school library.




 Some of My Favorites by illustrator Kadir Nelson:  




No comments:

Post a Comment