Thursday, August 23, 2012

Book Review: Olive and the Big Secret


Author/Illustrator: Tor Freeman
Interest Level: Ages 6 and Up

From the Publisher: When Molly shares a secret with Olive, the urge to tell is just too great! Olive tells Joe who tells Matt who tells Lola. But Lola is best friends with Molly. Uh-oh, the secret is out, and Olive is in for it! Olive learns the hard way that keeping secrets is tough, and telling them can make for a whole lot of trouble! 

Why It's On My Bookshelf: The main reason I like this book is because the secret is about having a crush on someone. My office is right next to the playground and I can hear a lot of conversations going on. Often I'll hear kids out there talking about boyfriend/girlfriend stuff. Sometimes there is teasing going on. I've had individual conversations and even classwide talks about the inappropriateness of the teasing and how it causes embarassment and hurt feelings. Olive and the Big Secret is very light hearted so I'll be sure to start a serious conversation as we finish the story. So glad to have a helpful book like this to talk about this subject with kids!

A Link to This Book and Others You Might Find Helpful:



No comments:

Post a Comment