Thursday, April 19, 2012

Book Review: Miss Fox's Class Goes Green

Author: Eileen Spinelli
Illustrated by Anne Kennedy
Interest Level: Ages 5-8

From the Book Jacket: When Miss Fox shows up at school riding her bicycle, Mouse asks, "Does your car have a flat tire?" "No," Miss Fox tells her students. "I am going green!"

Soon everyone in the class is working to keep the earth healthy. Mouse takes shorter showers; Bunny brings a cloth bag to the supermarket; and Possum turns the lights off when he goes out. And Miss Fox's simple act has ripples even beyond her own students. 

Why It's On My Bookshelf: Earth day is April 22nd! Last year I read Arthur Turns Green to students. This year I discovered the newly published and awesome Miss Fox's Class Goes Green. It's PERFECT for Earth Day. By the end of the story kids were yelling out, "I am going green, Mrs. D!" Our school really gets into Earth Day and each class participates in some sort of green activity. This was an excellent opportunity for me to use this as a counseling lesson. Lots of kids had never heard of the phrase 'going green.' Let me tell you, students get passionate about this stuff. I love it! And I love this cute new book!

A Link to This Book and Others You Might Find Helpful:

No comments:

Post a Comment