Monday, October 10, 2011

Review: Murf Murf the Dolphin Dog


Murf Murf the Dolphin Dog
Written by Sonya Warner
Illustrated by Sarah Nelisiwe Anderson

Publication date: 2011
Publisher: Akaroa Dolphins
ISBN: 978-0-473-18270-0

Summary/Back cover:
Once upon a time, in a little town not far away from the city, was a cute little dog who had a real job!  His tail was fluffy, and his beard was scruffy... 

Murf Murf is a real-life sea dog who works on a dolphin-watching boat in the small New Zealand town of Akaroa.  Follow his adventures at sea with his playful dolphin friends!

Review:
My parents went on a dolphin-watching cruise and purchased this book for my sons while they were there - they purchased it from Akaroa Dolphins, but Sonya, the author, has kindly emailed me to let me know where else it is available - see the comments section for the list of retailers.

Written in a gentle rhyme, the story of Murf Murf appealed to my 3 year old immediately, and has been requested over and over. When Murf Murf falls off the boat, my son was quite worried the first time, but now calls out with me as I read "Don't worry Murf, we won't let you drown!"

The illustrations are beautiful - I particularly love the expressions Sarah has managed to draw into Murf Murf's face - who knew a dog had so many emotions?!

This is definitely a book worth having on your bookshelf - and even better if you can take your children to see some dolphins before or after having read the book.

My rating: 4 out of 5.

Review written by Bronwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment