Saturday, November 6, 2010

Book Review: Some good ones on NOISE vs quiet

I love it when I find books on self-control, awareness, and being a social thinker. My school uses the Daily 5 model for literacy. Often times I will walk by a classroom and notice the silence (I refer to this as the groove of learning). Students are using a skill called Read to Self. This requires everyone to be quiet and respectful of others while they independently read. So anytime I can find a book to support this learning behavior, I read it to the kids. Of course I can't forget some of my other favorites like My Mouth is a Volcano, Interrupting Chicken, and Howard B Wigglebottom Learns to Listen. Enjoy these new finds.....(I added in a popular board book for the littles).

Read to Tiger
Author: S.J. Fore
illustrated by R.W. Alley
Interest Level: Ages 4-8

Description: A quiet evening, a cozy couch, and a favorite book - what more could a little boy need for a pleasant evening at home. Until... Grrrr! Choo Choo Choo! Hi-Yaaaa! Tooooot! ...how can anyone enjoy his book when there's an energetic, imaginative tiger behind the couch, just begging for attention? It starts to seem like there's no way a playful tiger who wants company and a little boy who just wants to read his book in peace can both be happy - until they discover a solution that will delight the heart of any book lover. 

By the way: Tiger refers to himself in the 3rd person which I didn't really care for - so I just changed it to 1st person. I also gave Tiger some more dialogue that included words like respect. A first grade teacher also read this to her class and used a tiny little stuffed tiger as a visual. Learning props rule!

The Quiet Book
Author: Deborah Underwood
illustrated by Renata Liwska
Interest Level: Ages 4-8

Description: There are many kinds of quiet. Quiet can be delicate. Quiet can be thundering! Quiet can be sweet and cozy, and can most definitely help you fall asleep. This gentle picture book explores all the different quiets that can fill a child's day from morning to night.

Author Quote: The idea for this book came to me when I was waiting for a classical guitar concert to start. I noticed the expectant silence right before the guitarist started playing, and that made me think of other quiets. And yes, "before the concert starts quiet" made it into the book! 

Crash Bang Donkey!
Author: Jill Newton
Interest Level: Ages 4-8

Description: Things are quiet at Peaceful Farm...until Donkey shows up! First he makes a racket with his great big drum and tootling trumpet. Farmer Gruff, of course, isn't pleased at all. But one day, everyone realizes that just as there's a time to be quiet, there's a time to be noisy, too!

Quiet LOUD  (Board Book)
Author: Leslie Patricelli
Interest Level: For the Littles

Description: Sniffles are quiet, but sneezes are loud. Amiably illustrated in a bright, graphic style, Leslie Patricelli’s spirited board book, QUIET LOUD, stars an obliging, bald, and very expressive toddler who acts out each pair of opposites with comically dramatic effect. Whether you read it quietly or loudly, learning about opposites has never been more fun - or funny - than with this winning board book.


No comments:

Post a Comment