Friday, August 13, 2010

Book Review: Teachin' School Rules

So as we head back into the school year I'm reflecting on books I've discovered that have helped teach school rules. Teaching behavior management in the classroom and at recess is year round. The skill building in these areas never stops. So here are two simple fun books I read to spice up behavior management. Read on to find out why they have made it to my bookshelf.....

Please Play Safe!
Penguin's Guide to Playground Safety
Author: Margery Cuyler
Interest Level: Pre-school - 1st Grade
The book starts out with penguin and his buddies heading out to the playground for some playtime. But they stampede each other trying to get there. I was sold right there! Man, how many times have I seen kids pushing and shoving trying to get out the door as fast as possible to get to the equipment rack! A book helping reinforce playground rules?? Yippee Skippee! So I've learned how to use this book WISELY. Reading it straight through is a No No. I've broken it up into small lessons and do lots of role playing. It's fantastic for modeling correct behavior vs incorrect behavior. Penguin also wears a whistle around his neck. Bingo!!! There's your prop! So I have a bunch of plastic whistles and I let a few trusty kids use them. And of course, I have a penguin puppet. Big shocker....I love puppets! Someone commented on Amazon this is a boring book. I'm telling you.....it's how you read it and make it even better with props, puppets, and role playing. I wouldn't use a story that would cause more behavior problems as I'm trying to read it.

How Do Dinosaurs Go to School?
Authors: Jane Yolen and Mark Teague
Interest Level: Pre-school - 1st Grade
Yes! Another fun one encouraging good social skills. Dinosaurs teaching behavior management!!?? Right on! Have your dinosaur puppets on stand-by for this one. It asks negative questions about behavior like, "Does a dinosaur YELL?" The next page won't give the answer or demonstrate the correct behavior. So I break this one up by taking the time to model each correct behavior after each question. Sometimes this can be a two part lesson. Sitting at the carpet learning school rules for 30 minutes can be BORING so make it fun and light.


A Link To These Book and Others You Might Find Helpful:

No comments:

Post a Comment