Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Book Review: My Mouth is A Volcano Activity and Idea Book

Author: Julia Cook
Interest Level: Ages 4-8

About This Book: The perfect companion to My Mouth Is A Volcano!, this supplementary teacher's guide will further help you teach your students how to manage their rambunctious thoughts and words. Through discussion questions and exercises to share with students, you'll be able to teach children the value of respecting others by listening and waiting for their turn to speak. -from the book jacket

Why It's On My Bookshelf: All of the students in my school know and ADORE My Mouth Is A Volcano!. It's seriously the bees knees. If you are an educator and tired of saying, "1 2 3....eyes on me!!" then you need to get a copy of this book. I've owned this title for a few years and been reading it to K-3 grades habitually. Self-awareness light bulbs go off as students learn how Louis gets his bad habit of interrupting everyone in his path under control. When I'm reading a book about school skills and notice how much it positively builds the kids up and they actually change their behavior (yes it can be done), I know I've got a winner on my hands.

Although I've been reading this book for a few years, I didn't exactly have the greatest activities put together to continue the lesson after we finished reading. We usually did some fun and engaging role plays about raising our hands but I needed more critical thinking activities. Enter My Mouth is A Volcano Activity and Idea Book! It has been an awesome resource in small and large group settings. It's all about visuals, art, and writing extension activities. Some of my favorites from the activity book: Button Up: A cool activity to teach kids to "Speak With Good Purpose;" Puzzle Erupt: It puts the students in a frustrating situation where they are interrupted; and I also love the writing extensions (those also helped me with my discussion when I was reading the book). Each lesson I've used has been a hit. If you are an elementary school counselor running small groups on school skills - make sure you have this as part of your curriculum. Not sure about you - but I've recycled all of my curriculums from the 70's and 80s and am updating them with current resources like this one.


Check out author Julia Cook's website for more of her amazing books.

A Link to This Book and Others You Might Find Helpful:

No comments:

Post a Comment