Monday, May 24, 2010

Book Review: Rules

Author: Cynthia Lord
Interest Level: Grades 4 and Up

About This Book: Twelve-year-old Catherine just wants a normal life. Which is near impossible when you have a brother with autism and a family that revolves around his disability. she's spent years trying to teach David the rules from "a peach is not a funny-looking apple" to "keep your pants on in public" - in order to head off David's embarrassing behaviors.

But the summer Catherine meets Jason, a surprising, new sort-of friend, and Kristi, the potential next-door friend she's always wished for, it's her own shocking behavior that turns everything upside down forces her to ask: What is normal?

Filled with humor and warmth, Cynthia Lord's novel takes a candid and sensitive look at feeling different and finding acceptance - beyond the rules.

Why It's On My Bookshelf: A few years ago, I was listening to a 5th grade class discuss their transition on becoming middle schoolers. They shared many fears and concerns: 'What if I forget my locker combination?' 'What will the cafeteria food be like?' 'What if I get lost?' 'Will there be more homework?' Mostly, it was the usual stuff I hear every year. But one comment has stayed with me - "I'm worried kids will make fun of my sister because she is disabled." The room went silent. And then an eruption of hands went up around me. Students responded with an empathatic discussion in support of their peer. I was grateful for two things: 1)the power of a caring community of kids and 2)how brave the student was to share his challenge. I realized he must have felt emotionally safe to do so. But I also wasn't aware of the stress he had been feeling about his sibling. These students need support and care. Enter the essential read Rules. It's full of insight, understanding, and strength.

An autism diagnosis affects the whole family. Because of the daily demands and interventions required, balancing daily life activities can sometimes be difficult. This can be very hard on siblings of autistic children. Through Catherine's eyes you feel her annoyance, frustration, jealousy, embarrassment, and worry. And you also feel her love, compassion, care, and loyalty. Those traits help her overcome the emotional obstacles she faces.  If you want to encourage understanding and care for children like Catherine, read Rules. This book has been making a difference in my school.


A Link to This Book and Others You Might Find Helpful:

No comments:

Post a Comment